Skip to main content

Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows of Mary

Similar to praying the Rosary but instead of meditating upon the mysteries of the rosary, we meditate upon the seven sorrows of Mary. Also, instead of 10 beads per mystery, we have 7 beads per sorrow. This Chaplet can be prayed entirely for one day or one sorrow can be meditated upon per day.

Begin by reciting the ACT OF CONTRITION.

O my God I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of hell; but most of all because they offend Thee my God, Who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of Thy grace to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen.

V. O God, come to my assistance.
R. O Lord, make haste to help me.
Glory be...

Announce the Sorrow
1. St. Simeon’s Prophecy
2. The Flight into Egypt
3. The Loss of Jesus in the Temple
4. The Meeting of Mary and Jesus on the Way to Calvary
5. The Crucifixion and Death of Jesus
6. The Piercing of the Side of Jesus, and His Descent from the Cross
7. The Burial of Jesus.

OUR FATHER

7 HAIL MARY'S

My Mother! share Thy grief with me, and let me bear Thee company to mourn Thy Jesus’ death with Thee.

After the Last Sorrow, Pray the HAIL HOLY QUEEN

Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, Hail our life, our sweetness and our hope. To Thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To Thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, Most gracious Advocate, Thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile show unto us the blessed Fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. V. Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God. R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray
O God, at whose Passion, according to the prophecy of Simeon, a sword of sorrow did pierce through the most sweet soul of the glorious Virgin and Mother Mary; grant that we, who commemorate and reverence Her sorrows, may experience the blessed effect of Thy Passion, who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.

Three Hail Marys in honor of the tears shed by Our Lady in Her Sorrows.